Monday, July 19, 2010

BOOKS!

Those that are recently behind me:

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Love and Obstacles by Aleksandar Hemon

Those in progress at the moment:

Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Elliot (shoutout to Meg who's reading it with me!)
A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra which is a lovely collection of letters and documents that follows their precious and tragic romance.

Those on the horizon:

Frost On My Moustache by Tim Moore. A British fellow's Arctic travel memoir.
The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes in French History by Robert Darnton
How Cities Work by Alex Marshall (shoutout to the gentleman caller, who is contagiously interested in proper urban development)
Embracing the Wide Sky by Daniel Tammet (which I'll first bless onto Lindsay to read to further her interest in the wonders of the brain)

If you have reading suggestions that fill any of the following criteria, by ALL means, please suggest away:

-I must leave the book having learned something. This is a requirement. Reading something that teaches me, deliberately, about life, God, myself, or mankind makes me feel like I've spent my time well with that book.

-Currently trying on some non-fiction, but by heavens, PLEASE offer something that will entice me and not bore me. See above for examples.

-I'm always a fan of a little romance, as long as we're not talking about long hair, glistening abs, and torn shirts on the cover (shudder...).

-Open minded about the type of book--I could go for poetry, a children's book, a mystery novel, whatevs. Talk me into something I won't regret :)

No comments:

Post a Comment