Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Movies (as of late)

Ok folks.

84 Charing Cross Road with Anthony Hopkins as a precious, reserved young British gentleman and Ann Bancroft as a brassy British Lit lover in Brooklyn. Cute as a button. Seriously. Also with Judi Dench, who you hate that you love (not love to hate. Rather the opposite). Not the ending I particularly wanted, but because of Judi Dench, it has to end that way. Mmm mmm mmm.

And how about a little 1946 La Belle et la BĂȘte? French classic film version of Beauty and the Beast. Ignore the violent melodramatic style and appreciate it for what it is. Do as Dr. Walsh advises and ignore the arrogance of the present. Loved it. I want to watch it again. Right now.

Giggle if you will, but I just finished Tuck Everlasting. I was 13 when it came out originally. I think I was cynical about it even then, but then as well as now, I can allow for a little wistfulness. Please let's ignore the uncanny similarities to the Twilight monstrosities that are currently plaguing our theaters. That wasn't pointed out to me until after I finished watching it. I'm delighted to say that Winnie seems to be far more level-headed than I hear that Bella chick is. She doesn't make a totally life-altering decision while going through puberty. And her love interest doesn't sparkle.

Zing!

I have The 39 Steps in a handy dandy Netflix sleeve, so I'll have to get to that soon.

Heading to San Francisco on Friday. In 38 hours I'll be boarding a plane. I may or may not have just done a little happy dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment