Monday, January 31, 2011

THE INDIA POST (2)

I questioned whether to post this or not.  This is a letter to my future daughter (NO, I'm not preggers. By "future" I mean fuuuuuuuture daughter), as inspired by the writings of Amy Carmichael and Elisabeth Elliot.

11:10pm (10:40am) still Jan 13 (14th in India--weird)

My dear daughter,

My precious gift from God, my angel, my baby girl.  At this time, you are but a prayer, and yet I feel so sure that you will someday grace my life and your amazing father's with your presence.  I am reading Elisabeth Elliot's A Chance to Die, the reverent biography of Amy Carmichael.  By the time you read this, I imagine you will be very familiar with both of these women.  Upon reading a letter that Catherine Carmichael wrote to her daughter, I realized that I had this one growing in my own heart.

Mrs. Carmichael writes (about Amy's doubts and worries upon being called by God to "go"):

"He who hath led will lead
All through the wilderness,
He who hath fed will surely feed...
He who hath heard thy cry
Will never close His ear,
He who hath marked thy faintest sigh
Will not forget thy tear.
He loveth always, faileth never,
So rest in Him today--forever."

You are not in my life, yet I can imagine how incredibly difficult it would be to let you go already.  However, I'm writing this to encourage you that I will forever support your life for Christ, wherever He leads you.  You are not mine, but His.  I am only to be blessed with the stewardship of your blossoming into a woman prepared to serve Him.  I don't know what spiritual gifts you'll have, but I am overjoyed at the idea that I will get to watch you discover them.

Life is not easy.  Following Christ through life isn't either.  Sin is easy, and the road to ruin is hard-packed because of the many feet that have run along that path.  We weren't created for the easy and the comfortable, and remaining neutral is only wandering down that hard-packed road with your hands over your eyes.  Choose deliberately, my love, to live a life of service to Christ.  He lovingly hand-crafts us to have very specific roles in His Glorification.  He will feed you, hear you, remember you, love you, never fail you, and lead you.  Will you follow?

I love you,
Your one-day mama

No comments:

Post a Comment