Thursday, August 5, 2010

MY BRAIN!

The title of this post comes from an exclamation that my friend Mary and I would shout at each other while studying for statistics.

That was easy peasy compared to the jumble going on in my head right now.

Ok, maybe not.

96.4% of statistics students say that statistics is no fun to study for.

3.6% of statistics students suffer from a strange disorder that causes the brain to enjoy studying for statistics.

It is written. Amen.



But seriously. Lots going on right now--all good things! But I wish I could devote all the brain power needed to each thing! It's hard to do that when my brain is being rolled out like cookie dough and divided among 7 major projects, only 4 of which I can think of off the top of my head right now. Yeah. It's reached that point.

So what do you do to organize your brain? How do you mentally straighten, plan, designate, file, maneuver, macgyver, or manhandle all the things that need to step in line?

I'm trying the timeline approach. I like this one. This means pulling out your planner and getting jiggy with it. This means breaking up your projects into steps and giving them each a time slot based on urgency and importance. Do you have to plan a bridal shower for somewhere between 14 and 20 gals? That's a multi-step process. That means making the invitations and making the food for the shindig DO NOT go together on the timeline (otherwise you'll have no guests or gross food). Moving your entire life from an apartment to a house may somehow need to fit between envelope-licking and quiche-baking. Moving your entire life from an apartment to a house is ALSO a multi-step process, though! It's best to have very few multi-step things going on at once. Your brain threatens to shut down. Kinda like a 5-year-old laptop. Or a 5-year-old child.

It's best if you can avoid financial stressors, tearful goodbyes, lack of hot water, and thoughts of theatre auditions while several multi-step events are in the works.

You should also try not to lose your planner while moving your entire life from said apartment to said house.

In short, do as I say, not as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment